ORRUM — An 8-year-old girl suffered serious burns caused by a campfire at Lumber River State Park on Saturday, according to the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.
The girl, whose name is not being released, suffered burns to her abdomen and chest, an incident report said.
According to the Sheriff’s Office and park officials, gasoline had accidentally been poured on a dying campfire, causing flames to shoot out and burn the girl. The incident occurred at about 7:30 p.m. on Saturday near the Princess Ann access area.
According to the report, the girl’s father was backing up a vehicle when he heard children screaming and saw the girl run toward him. The girl’s father was able to put out the flames by “smothering” her and took her to a nearby parking lot, where he called 911.
According to the incident report, the girl was alert and talking when a deputy arrived. In addition to sheriff’s deputies, Emergency Medical Services and volunteer firefighters responded.
Neil Lee, the park’s superintendent, said emergency responders arrived quickly and provided “top-notch” care. The girl was flown to Doctor’s Hospital of Augusta for treatment.
“It was tremendous team work,” Lee said.
A spokesperson for Doctor’s Hospital of Augusta said Monday evening that the girl was in serious condition at the Georgia hospital’s Joseph M. Still Burn Center.